Introduction of Hallmark certification in Jharkhand:-
A Hallmark can be word, name, symbol or device used by manufacturers to identify their goods and to distinguish their products from other goods which are manufactured and sold by others. Therefore, a hallmark is a symbol of trust, a unique identification for the customer buying jewellery.
Hallmark Certification refers to a certificate certifying that the gold and silver jewelry is genuine. In India, distinctive markings are issued under the direction of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). With the BIS Hallmark Certificate, the public can tell the difference between real and fake jewelry. Thus, Hallmark BIS certification sets a good standard for jewelery business in India. The Government of India regulates the process of obtaining a BIS Hallmark Certificate through the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Government Procurement (MCAFDP).
The process of obtaining a Hallmark BIS certificate involves two steps. During the BIS Hallmark certification selection, the jeweler must submit a Form I. The jeweler must then submit an application to the Center for Analysis and Marking (AHC) to place a distinguishing mark on the jewellery.
Gold is a precious metal because of its many uses. Gold is proving to be an essential part of a savvy investor’s portfolio. Gold is not just a way of adorning the body in our country and other parts of the world. It is also one of the best ways to invest your money. As a financial guarantee, parents give their daughter gold jewelry from the past during the wedding.
Therefore, considering that gold is a precious and precious metal, the availability of methods to determine its quality and purity is very important. In the absence of quality parameters, the buyer or investor is always at risk, must accept the quality of the metal according to your jewelry claims. Gold is a precious metal.
The designation of the Bureau of Indian Standards indicates that the gold is of the specified grade and quality. BIS sets metal quality standards.
It is impossible to determine the purity of gold by touching or looking at it without proper evaluation. Two gold ornaments can have the same pattern and style, but can differ significantly due to differences in the purity of the gold. A Hallmark certificate can solve this problem and provide all the necessary information and confirm the purity of the gold.
Hallmark brings confidence and confidence to the gold jewelry industry. Not only buyers, but also sellers.
List of Hallmarking Centres
- Central Region
- Eastern Region
- Northern Region
- Southern Region
- Western Region
It is a certification of purity of gold articles in accordance with Indian Standard specifications. It has been acting as a safeguard to purchasers of gold and gold articles for centuries in various countries
- Hallmark consists of five components i.e.
- BIS Mark,
- The fineness number (corresponding to given caratage),
- Hallmarking Centre’s mark, jeweller’s mark and
- Year of marking denoted by a code letter and decided by BIS (e.g. code letter ‘A’ was approved by BIS for the year 2000, ‘B’ being used for the year 2001 and ‘C’ for 2002).
Marking is done either using laser marking machine or punches. Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) hallmark, a mark of conformity widely accepted by the consumer, bestows the additional confidence to the consumer on the purity of gold jewellery.
GRANT OF CERTIFICATE
Any jeweler willing to obtain Certificate of Registration for Selling Hallmarked Jewellery/artifacts shall apply with self-certified copies of documents listed below from (a) to (e) with the online application or submit hard copies to the Branch office of BIS having jurisdiction of the area where the jeweler is located, with the application.
Required Documents and fees
Registration is granted to the applicant if the application is found to be complete with all necessary documents and fees enclosed within five working days.
A) Proof of establishment of the firm or company (Any one of the documents given below):-
- Certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of companies along with a memorandum of articles.
- Registered Partnership Deed in case applicant is a Partnership Firm.
- Certificate from a Chartered Accountant if the applicant is a Proprietorship Firm.
other document like trade licence indicating firm as proprietorship, or
- GST Registration Certificate indicating status of firm as proprietorship firm.
B) Proof of address of firm’s premises (Any one of the documents given below):-
- Registration with State Government Authority/ Trade Licences
- GST registration certificate.
- Income Tax Assessment Order.
- Latest Property tax receipt.
- Rent agreement with last rent receipt.
- Sale/ Lease Deed agreement.
C) Proof of Identity of the signatory:-
- Aadhar based verification/ e- signature
- Self-certified copy of any one of following documents as identity proof of signatory on the Application: – Aadhar Card – Driving Licence – PAN card – Voter Identity card – Passport – Identity Certificate with photo issued by Gazetted Officer on official letterhead.
D) Map indicating location of premises from nearest land mark:-
Location map of premises from some nearest prominent landmark for each outlet, as applicable (illustrative only).
E) Proof in regard to annual turnover
- Self-certified copy of GST return of previous financial year. Or Certificate issued by a Chartered Accountant for Turnover, if firms/ Jewellers turnover is below 40 lakhs and he does not have GST Registration, or Balance sheet of Jeweller, dully certified by the Chartered Accountant. An undertaking may be obtained from the Jeweller that if his turnover exceeds threshold limit he will take GST Registration and will submit GST Return to BIS after completion of one financial year and difference as per actual turnover.
- If the firm is new, an undertaking from the firm with expected turnover and assurance to submit GST return after completion of the current financial year and deposit the difference as per actual turnover.
- In case of corporate certificate of registration if the applicant has only one single GST return than the firm may be asked to submit certificate from Chartered Accountant mentioning the turnover of each outlet.
According to new guidelines following the change in BIS hallmark license fees for jeweler’s turnover as below:
- Turnover up to Rs. 5 cr – Rs. 7500
- Turnover between Rs. 5 cr to Rs. 25 cr – Rs. 15000
- Turnover between Rs. 25 cr to Rs. 100 cr – Rs. 40000 and
- Turnover Above Rs. 100 cr – Rs. 80000
This fees is for a period of 5 years.
Qus:-1. What is hallmark ?
Hallmarking is a symbol of justifying purity of the gold as well as silver jewelry sold in India certifying the purity of the metal.
Qus:-2. What is the purpose of the hallmarking scheme ?
The motive of the hallmark protect the public against sophistication and to obligate manufacturers to maintain legal standards of fineness. In India, at present two precious metals namely gold and silver have been brought under the scope of Hallmarking.
Qus:-3. How will the jewelers benefit?
It will provide a clear indication of his capability, strong evidence of commitment to quality and assurance of consistency in purity and quality of gold or silver jewellery.
Qus:-4. Is It Mandatory To Obtain Hallmark Licenses?
The Government of India had notified rules and regulation for gold and silver jewellery hallmarking, but the decision is still pending as the government is deciding as too when to make it mandatory. In rural as well as in urban areas many small jewellers are selling non-hallmarked jewellery, however, BIS has issued warning to unregistered jewellers not to sell hallmark and also not to sell non-hallmarked jewellery.